It’s been a rollercoaster ride of a week for Marvel fans with Spider-man apparently being taken out of the MCU completely with Sony and Disney failing to reach a deal on the character.
Tom Holland and Zendaya unfollowed Sony on instagram, Stan Lee’s daughter spoke out about the treatment of her father’s legacy and all and all it’s been a none stop barrage of news.
However it looks like there has finally been an agreement and after a Tom Holland posted a cryptic image to Instagram that featured not only him and Robert Downey Junior but also the both of them holding Iron Man and Spider-man figures with the Caption ‘We Did It Mr Stark.’ We also have news from Cosmic Book News that there has been an agreement met.
Disney Sony Deal Update
According to the new deal Disney wants:
– A 6-picture deal with Tom Holland, with an option for a 7th.
– There are three more Spider-Man films after Spider-Man 3, which will be a new trilogy.
– The second trilogy will focus on Peter Parker’s college years including plans for Peter to meet up and team up with Firestar and Ice Man of the X-Men (based in part on the old Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon).
– The other three movies are two Avengers films in which Spider-Man will have a larger role and become friends with Johnny Storm (Human Torch from the Fantastic Four).
– Marvel Studios will helm and co-finance all Spider-Man related movies for 30% of the full profits (Disney previously wanted 50%, but Sony said no, which led to the talks falling apart).
– Sony would distribute, but Disney will acquire exclusive digital and online rights for Disney Plus and affiliated TV networks.
– Marvel Studios will helm and co-finance SpiderVerse live-action spinoffs under the same terms.
– Venom will relocate into the MCU.
– Sony will be given permission for TV live-action programs based on SpiderVerse properties (Sony only has film rights to Spider-Man, but needs permission from Disney for TV rights)
– Disney wants the deal to be done before Saturday’s Marvel panel at D23 Expo.
– Spider-Man is also said to be a part of a D23 Expo panel.
In addition to this if another company purchases Sony such as Apple, the full rights of Spider-man will go back to disney.
Why The Deal Fell Through
The prior deal fell through because Disney wanted to finance the movie in a 50/50 split but from this take 50% of the box off. However, there were rumors of a 70/30 split which apparently is what has been agreed and the entire deal will be announced at D23 this weekend.
Honestly, this is incredible news and I think the outcry of the internet has gone a long way to help push this through and make it so that Disney and Sony both paid attention, put their differences to one side and do what is best for the fans and both companies. I think that both corporations would have been in a worse off position had the deal fallen through with Sony having to pretty much start their own new universe and Marvel no longer having the new face of the MCU.
I’m so glad that they reached an agreement as the sheer negativity that’s been blasted towards both companies over the last couple of days has seen a dramatic decrease in their stocks which will no doubt have helped these negotiations.
This is brilliant news and I can’t wait to see what films come down the line if this is made official in the next couple of days.
It’s definitely given fans across the world a lot of hope and hey, happy days.
Obviously I’d love to hear your thoughts on this news and if you’re as hyped as I am. Comment below and let me know!e prize so best of luck to everyone who takes part.